We have a beautiful old apple tree in our front years and this year it seems to be swollen with apples this year! We have been busy making all sorts of delicious fall apple recipes. Today I am showcasing these easy and delicious apple bars – perfect for an after school snack or bringing to a tailgate or football watching party.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 medium-sized apples, peeled, cubed
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line and grease a 8×8” baking dish with foil.
- First the filling -
- In a large pan combine the apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until apples are tender but still firm. Add the cornstarch and lemon juice and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- To make the base, in a medium bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender until it resembles breadcrumbs. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven. Top with the cooked apple mixture.
- In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for the topping. It will be crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. I put mine in the refrigerator for easier cutting.
- Keep in the refrigerator (you can heat it in the microwave for 15 seconds before serving - Yum!