It is time to start thinking about Valentines Day and gifts for your significant other. I go through this dilemma year after year with not knowing what to buy/get/do. So I thought I would compile a list of what I think would make great presents without breaking the bank. These could be for him or her.
1. A card. I am a HUGE fan of the card. For me I want it to be sweet and romantic? But I know that style is not for everyone. My husband would much rather have a funny/silly/sexy card. This card can be store bought or hand made, sweet or funny, really anything as long as it appears as though some time went into it. You don’t want your SO (significant other) thinking that you just ran out last minute and picked up any card that was left on the grocery store shelf. (Trust me I’ve been the recipient of one of these)
2. Candy. What is your SO’s favorite candy? Packaged in a cute tin, mason jar, box this is a great way to be thoughtful again with out spending a whole lot of money. My hunnys favorite candy is gummy bears. He would love a big jar of these to keep in the cabinet for him to snack on whenever the sugar rush hits. Tie it with a nice ribbon and a clever tag (Sweets for my Sweet, Love you to Pieces, etc.)
3. Gift certificate(s) for time. Now this may sound lame but as I get older there really would be nothing I would rather have than some quality alone time with myself! So if you have children, a gift certificate to watch the kids for an afternoon while your SO goes out and does whatever they want?? Priceless. Some other ideas for these certificates: back/foot massage, watching their choice of movie, washing his/her car, etc. now that doesn’t mean you can’t get a little wild with your thoughts and ideas… Let your imagination run free!
4. Flowers. This is not the time of the year to go for roses, they are so overpriced. Choose something that is in your SO’s favorite color instead. Sunflowers, carnations, etc. again paired with a sweet note, perfect!
5. Dinner Date at Home. Make your SO their favorite meal and wait to eat together after the kids go to bed. Go all out: tablecloth, good china, candles, etc. Going that extra step to make it special will have your SO speechless. What the heck, grab a bottle of wine or champagne, too!
6. Movies. When was the last time you and your SO went to the movies… A non-animated movie? Make a plan to go to the movies. Find a sitter, book them in advance or better yet ask grandma/grandpa and give them a movie night out on another day. Something to look forward to is always nice.
7. A Framed Photo. Make sure that you both look good in the photo! And then go get a frame. It MUST be framed, remember that little extra step will make all the difference to the receiver. Because if you just give them a photo, then they have to go out and get a frame. Suddenly your gift now becomes another task.