Our family is still on our New Year’s Resolution of eating healthier and moving more. We don’t like to sacrifice flavor or taste when we are eating better and I am always on the lookout for new recipes that are delicious and inspiring.
Last week on one of the TV Shows that we watch, The Biggest Loser, they featured a Turkey Breakfast Sausage Chilaquiles with JENNIE-O® Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll recipe. My husband and I love having meals with a Mexican flare so we were very excited to see this recipe on the show.
This Turkey Breakfast Sausage Chilaquiles recipe was created in collaboration with Biggest Loser RD Cheryl Forberg, the recipe puts a tasty, low-cal spin on a favorite south-of-the-boarder dish. Here is the recipe courtesy of JENNIE-O®.
Turkey Breakfast Sausage Chilaquiles
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili in adobo sauce, if desired
- salt and pepper, if desired
- 1 (16-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 48 baked corn tortilla strips
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium avocado, died or ½ cup guacamole, if desired
- In bowl of food processor or jar of a blender purée all sauce ingredients until smooth. Pour into a 2 quart sauté pan, simmer sauce, stirring, 3 minutes and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep warm. (Sauce may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.) Yield 6 cups.
- Cook turkey sausage as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Set aside.
- Assemble Chilaquiles in shallow dishes or soup bowls. Crumble 6 tortilla chips into each bowl. Top with ¾ cup very hot sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ cup turkey sausage crumbles. Garnish with onion, feta cheese, cilantro and avocado, if desired.
You should really give this recipe a try, it is so yummy, healthy and filling. Who are you rooting for on this season of The Biggest Loser?