I love making desserts, especially for special occasions. It brings me such joy to see family and friends enjoying the decadent treats I make for them. For New Years day, I decided to make eclairs. I have never made them before but I have a great recipe for you that is easy to make and most of the ingredients you will have in your pantry.
These eclairs are light and fluffy and not overly sweet but filled with a vanilla cream that oozes out the sides. I topped mine with milk chocolate but you could use any variety of chocolate you like: dark or semi-sweet would be delicious too.
Decadent Eclair Recipe
- For the eclair:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the filling:
- 1 pkg. Instant Vanilla pudding
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, salt and butter to a boil.
- Add the flour all at once and stir to combine until a ball forms.
- Remove from heat and let stand 8 minutes.
- Add vanilla and eggs one at a time until each is combined and the dough is smooth and shiny.
- Put dough into a self seal bag and cut the corner off.
- "Pipe" dough onto prepared sheets approx. 1"x 4".
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes and immediately transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- In an electric mixer with the wire attachment, beat whipping cream until peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla to combine.
- In a separate bowl prepare pudding according to the box directions.
- Fold into the whip cream mixture.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
- Cut eclairs open with a serrated knife.
- Spoon cream mixture onto the bottom and place the top on.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for approximately 1 minute, stir until creamy and then spread on each eclair.
- Chill until ready to serve.