My grandmother was an amazing cook. She was always cooking something from tomato sauce and lentil soup to potatoes and eggs and lasagna. She never wrote down recipes. I was lucky enough to be able to watch her when she cooked and I spent many afternoons in her kitchen with her. Although I did not realize it at the time, those days spent with her while she was cooking taught me so many great things. My daughter and I cook together and while it may not always be easy to include her with baking or cooking- I try my hardest to allow her to help with something. So sometimes it takes me twice as long to do something, I love that she is there with me.
I am going to share my grandmother’s tomato sauce recipe. This recipe is a perfect sauce for topping pasta, baking lasagna or cooking meatballs in. Trust me- you want to make this one.
Grandma’s Secret Tomato Sauce Recipe
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic clove chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. parsley
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Basil chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot on a medium flame.
- Add onions and sauté until golden and softened.
- Add garlic and stir for a few moments, be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and paste, lower the heat to low.
- Add all of the herbs and seasoning and stir well.
- Cover and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve over pasta.