- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup butter, softened and melted ** See directions below
- 1 and 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ½ c. butter. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly.
- Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup butter (melted) with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an ‘X’ into the top of the loaf.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes ***Note: start to check for doneness after 30 minutes